While thinking of the mob types to add and make, I’ve been playing the game a lot (more than the usual testing) and there’s a bunch of bigger things that have come up that need fixing. In fact, way more
In this prolonged post I will implement effects that semi-automatically spawn based on the animation, so that I don’t have to specify fiddly values for every mob and such. Time traveler note: Half-way I realized I am doing things wrong
There’s a lot of minor stuff I am doing all the time that doesn’t really fit anywhere or makes other posts bloated. So I’ll go over some important but small things that I am working on. A lot is to
I need to have some variety in my levels in terms of visuals and the most obvious candidates are the tiles — having different rooms with different themed tilesets. For example, to have halls be different from arenas and such.
I’m more or less finished with cleaning up the dungeon. While I can direct the dungeon generation randomness and clean up as much as I can, it will still inevitably do something bad. I cannot fix every single corner case
I’m going to implement an iterative dungeon generator, that is, a generator that can run multiple times and decide “okay, this dungeon is garbage, try again.” In fact, I could fail and retry early before I spend time on further
My dungeon has a problem of being both too small and too large relative to player and enemy size and area they can comfortably fight in. What I mean is that the player can travel a lot through the dungeon.
Okay, more AI, but I’ll stop soon. I will also focus on refactoring, cleaning and generally improving my enemy and AI code. (It’s really important that I like the code, otherwise I won’t want to work on it. And “wanting
Since I removed all my brain state machine logic in favour of this new AI, I no longer have certain features I had, like seeking out the player. In fact, this will have to be done almost completely differently now.
Now that I have a bunch of enemies being spawned in the dungeon, I need to make them smarter. Technically, I need to extend their capabilities, but make their behaviour fun-er. I want to have high standards for my AIs,
I am slowly realizing that my current “room defines what is in it” approach isn’t going to cut it. Thankfully, I didn’t get very far with it or add too much code. The main reasons is me wanting to make
At this point, I’ve seen what sort of layouts I can theoretically produce. It’s a good time to rename my room designations to Halls and Hubs and have them in sizes Big, Medium and Small. This feels more readable and
I decided to work a bit more on dungeon generation and improve the layouts. I have made all the generation steps be random besides the parameters I set. Now I am adjusting logic to avoid bad results and produce more
I really need to get some gameplay going. I don’t particularly want to spend time on temporary enemy logic, so I will just go ahead and write the “full” AI from the start. I expect different enemies to have different
I do not like my current collision system. When dynamic stuff interacts, everything just stops dead in their tracks. I expect the player to bump into a lot of things — enemies, chests, walls, etc. But it doesn’t feel good
I already had an A* implementation, so I imported it into the project. Great post, see you next time! Okay, so. I will need AIs in the game, and they will need path-finding. I cannot really do with straight